Training Summary
This was the second week of 5 PM dismissals at Epiphany and it gave me a glimpse of what to expect when I am no longer an intern teacher. I was able to get in solid mileage and even did two workouts and a long run. The interval workout on Wednesday was decent and the tempo run on Saturday went very well. I was surprised how significantly the pace dropped in the final two miles with no increase in effort on my part. Overall, a week like this was just what I needed coming off the disaster that was New Bedford.
My legs felt decent for most of the week, with Friday being a particularly horrible run in terms of fatigue. One big help in getting in a few extra miles for the week was meeting up with Eric on Friday and Sunday. I definitely would have cut my run on Friday short if I wasn't running with someone.
The plan for next week is to drop the miles a bit but still get in the workouts and long runs. The science fair at Epiphany is on Thursday and Friday and my week will be dominated by helping kids get their boards ready and a paper I have due for BC on Thursday. If I can get in 80 to 85 miles I'll be happy. If I get in less, it isn't a big deal since I am due for a down week soon.
Monday
80 minutes
Tuesday
100 minutes
Wednesday
35 minute warm up to the Milton Academy track, 1600, 1200, 1600, 1200, 1600 w/ 200 jog rest in 2 minutes (5:13, 3:56, 5:16, 3:57, 5:13), cool down to 90 minutes
Thursday
70 minutes
Friday
90 minutes
Saturday
35 minute warm up to the Milton Academy track, 4 mile tempo run (5:34, 5:25, 5:19, 5:17), cool down to 90 minutes
Sunday
130 minutes
Total
650 minutes on 7 runs (just over 90 miles)
Holler of the Week
The weather this week was warm enough that I was able to run in shorts pretty much every day, but it was still cold and windy enough that it was pretty chilly walking around. Because of this, I got a ton of weather-related hollers this week. Most of them were something short and simple like "I know you cold!" but there were a few good ones. My favorite came from a woman who was sitting outised on her porch and said "Oooooh, boy just lookin' at you makes me cold!" I also liked an interaction I had with a teenager who was sitting on a stoop with his friends.
Him: Damn, ain't you cold?
Me: Nah, you?
Him: HELL yeah.
Epiphany Story of the Week
As I mentioned earlier, the science fair is coming up. We have encouraged students to make a title for their project that would draw people in. One of the 8th graders really took that advice to heart. He decided to go with scare tactics and titled his experiment on water quality from various towns around Boston "Holy Water or Poison?"
Song of the Week
On Thursday, I went to my first show at the new House of Blues on Lansdowne Street. I met up with Ted and his roommate, Tim, to see Bloc Party and was impressed with the venue and the band. My only complaint with the show was that the band did two encores. When I went to see Tapes 'n Tapes, they played as long as they were allowed to and then left the stage. There was no leaving the stage, waiting for a half-hearted clap from the crowd, and then returning to play a few songs. It seems to me that an encore is expected now and a second encore is not uncommon, but I can't help but think that it should be reserved for special situations. Ted mentioned before the show that his other roommate said the band should be called Clap Party since they try to get the crowd to clap along with every other song (he was right), so maybe they just did the two encores to get the crowd to clap some more. Either way it was a good show. The setlist is below and the video at the bottom is of the last song Bloc Party played in their second encore.
One Month Off
Trojan Horse
Hunting For Witches
Positive Tension
Biko
Waiting For The 7.18
Song For Clay (Disappear Here)
Banquet
Better Than Heaven
Blue Light
Mercury
This Modern Love
The Prayer
Halo
Price Of Gasoline
Flux
Helicopter
Ares
Like Eating Glass
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment