
Before I get into the happenings of the past few days, I would like to extend a special thanks to Joe Guinness who was kind enough to notify me that today, June 14th, is International Weblogger's Day. This is a very special moment for me, considering this is the first time I have celebrated the holiday as a weblogger. It was special before when I simply enjoyed other people's blogs, but the day takes on a special meaning now that I am publishing a blog myself. Now, on to the exciting stuff. On Monday, I ran 30 minutes in the morning. Around noon, I left on a bus packed with 13 year olds hopped up on caffeine to chaperon the 8th grade retreat. It was held in Maine at the summer home of the headmaster of Epiphany. The house is amazing. It is right on the water and there is a pool, basketball court, tennis court, and a trampoline. Most importantly, there is a large lawn that allows for tremendous games of croquet. I spent the entire day swimming, beating my roommates in croquet, bouncing kids on the trampoline, eating ice cream, playing on a slip 'n' slide, and launching model rockets with one of the 8th graders. And I got paid. When I got back to Boston on Tuesday, I had to go take the first part of a course to get recertified as a lifeguard. I went running after my course finished and everything went smoothly until the last 15 minutes of my run. I was running home on the sidewalk with traffic going in the opposite direction I was running. Ahead of me, I saw two cars bumping into each other. The one closest to the sidewalk was getting run off the road by another car trying to change lanes. As I watched this all happen in slow motion, the next thing I knew, the one car was veering off the road onto the sidewalk and coming right towards me. I have no idea what went through my mind, but I continued to run towards the car and hurdled over its hood as it smashed into the building to my left. I came out without a scratch but was pretty freaked out. There was a woman on the corner up the street from where the crash happened and I yelled "Holy shit! Did you see that?" She replied "I sure did. Boy, you better thank Jesus." I was so shaken up I didn't know what to do and gave her a hug. Then, I waited for the police, gave them my contact information, and finished up my 100 minute run. Not to be overly dramatic but, if I hadn't jumped over that car, I would be dead or in the hospital. Finally, all of the hurdle drills I did for the steeplechase were actually useful. The past two days were very boring and packed with teacher meetings (please don't get mad if you read this Mrs. Daly). When not trying to stay awake at school, I ran 30 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the evening on Wednesday and 90 minutes this morning. I just finished running a 30 minute double today. Look for a wrap up of the week on Sunday. Hopefully, I will not have any more near death experiences between now and then.
3 comments:
first of all thanks for the shout out. secondly, holy crap! I can't believe you jumped over a moving car to avoid death! that sounds like something batman or anthony famiglietti would do. i'm glad you didn't die, because we're gonna need you for the alumni race. we got you, greg and tyler small so far.
The first step in thanking Jesus should be eliminating the use of vulgarity following a life threatening experience. You are, after all, a role model and educator. A second step might include a little more work devoted to honoring your mother and father. Thirdly, get over yourself, it's not like you jumped a 16 wheeler.
Easy to say but difficult to do that so you must try too much and I believe we can do it if we have the high determination.
Post a Comment