
All I have been hearing lately is how terrible the weather is supposed to be for the Boston Marathon. Some predictions are as bad as two inches of rain with winds of 20 to 30 mph. Last night, anyone who is from the Boston area and will be racing on Monday got a taste of what to expect. It wasn't raining that hard when I left to run and I didn't think it was too cold either. This led me to make the incredibly dumb decision of running in shorts, a t-shirt, and gloves. 25 minutes into my run, I was freezing, drenched, and miserable. After having a brief pity party for myself, I remembered a story about Frank Shorter and Steve Prefontaine running in a blizzard in Taos, New Mexico. Prefontaine was complaining about the weather all run until Shorter turned to him and said "Do you realize no one in the world is training as hard as we are right now?" Pre immediately shut up and was quiet the rest of the run. After thinking of that story, I felt really tough for a mile or two until I got to thinking. If I was out doing a run in that weather, surely someone was doing a workout in the same weather, running harder than I was. I then felt like a big melodramatic wuss for a couple minutes before I stopped thinking about the weather all together. The second half of my run was with the wind and I dried off some and warmed up a little. Upon ending my 100 minute run, I stretched and then hopped in the shower to thaw out.
No comments:
Post a Comment