The title of my blog sums up the activities of this past week. Most of my runs were entirely uneventful and completed in the rain and the dark. I begin with a quick overview of the week and then elaborate on some highlights. On Monday, I ran 100 minutes after school. I followed that up with a 30 minute run on Tuesday morning and a 120 minute run Tuesday night. Wednesday, I ran 30 minutes in the morning again and 100 minutes after school. I felt really good an hour into the run and decided to do some work at tempo pace. I put in 25 minutes of tempo running before easing off the pace for the last 15 minutes. We had the annual Epiphany Gala on Thursday and all I got in was a 30 minute run in the morning. Friday, I came back with a 150 minute long run. On Saturday I only ran 30 minutes, partly out of laziness and partly from genuinely feeling tired. Today, I ran 30 minutes in the morning. This afternoon, I raced the Groton 10k and finished in 32:57. Between the warm up, race, and cool down, I was at 100 minutes for the afternoon. Now for the highlights.
Highlight #1: Wednesday Tempo Run
It was great picking up the pace from the normal 6:40 to 7:20 miles and I felt smooth doing it. I figure I was clipping off around 5:40 miles and got into a great rhythm. Racing and competing are great, but runs like this where I just get to enjoy running fast are some of my favorites.
Highlight #2: Monday Science Class
We are learning about Newton's Laws of Motion in science and I was introducing the Second Law of Motion. I told the kids that F=ma and asked them if they knew what any of the variables stood for. One kid said mass so I said "Great, so "m" is for mass, but we still have f and a." The way it came out, the end of the sentence sounded just like "effin' a" and I couldn't stop laughing. Only one kid picked up on it at first but, pretty quickly, the rest of the class caught on too.
Highlight #3: Today's Race
I was hoping to be able to run my goal marathon pace for the race today (about 5:30 miles) but I was very uncertain about my current fitness. The first mile was mostly downhill and was the fastest of the race. After that, I settled in and started to pick people off. I finished in 32:57 (5:18 pace) and was very pleased with the race. I am not sure when I will race again, but this effort increased my confidence in my high mileage/lower intensity marathon build up.
I totalled 700 minutes for the week on 9 runs and am hoping to be above 800 minutes this coming week.
Sunday, April 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment