Monday, May 14, 2007

Not Too Far From the Tree


So this week was another week of inconsistency, although I did log quite a bit more mileage than last week. I got off to a good start, doing morning runs of 30 minutes on Monday and Tuesday as well as a run of 100 minutes after school on Monday and a 120 run with my GBTC teammates on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday, I only ran once, getting in 100 minutes after school. After that, things took a turn for the worse. I didn't run Thursday morning because my shin was sore after finishing up my run the previous night and I didn't want to risk it. There was no time to run that night because I went to an Arcade Fire (see above picture) concert at The Orpheum Theatre. The show was awesome and, while I went by myself, I bumped into two of my GBTC teammates at the show and we met up for some beers afterwards. The only bad part of the night was waiting an hour for my train home to leave the Park Street station. I turned out that one of the green line trains had caught fire and my train couldn't leave until all transfers arrived. I got to see some cool pictures of a burning train (nobody was injured) on some guy's camera phone but it was hardly worth the wait. I didn't run Friday either, this time not due to laziness instead of prudence. I was tired from the concert and didn't get up to run in the morning. After school, I had another commitment and I ended up just not running again. We have dinner at school four nights a week. In order to encourage the students to use proper table manners, the teacher at each table scores the students at the table from one to ten on things like saying please and thank you, asking people to pass things instead of reaching across the table, and not talking with food in their mouths. Twice a year, the students with the top scores go to a French restaurant as a reward for their outstanding manners. It was great interacting with the kids in a different setting than the classroom and I had a lot of fun. My favorite part is explaining the menu to the students while we figure out what to order. Most kids that age aren't very familiar with foie grois (I say most because I had a strange obsession with the Food Network growing up and was entirely aware that it is duck or goose liver. Maybe I should have said normal instead of most) and seeing their reactions to my explanation of menu items like escargot and sweet breads was hilarious. On Saturday, I got back into the swing of things by running for two hours. In the middle of the run, I passed a cop with a radar gun. As I ran by I asked him "What did you get me at?" For the next couple seconds, I chuckled proudly to myself thinking how clever I was. I then came to the frightening realization that I was acting entirely too much like my father. Now, as I am writing this out with a smirk on my face, I am realizing that, in this instance, I am acting even more like my father than I initially realized, since he feels the need to recount every clever thing he says and laughs harder than anyone else at his story. Scary thought. Anyhow, I finished the week with a 170 minute run on Sunday and ended up with 670 minutes on 7 runs. Much like last week, I am hoping for more consistency in the upcoming seven days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so how many people at church benefit from sign?

Unknown said...

just thought you should know that I thought your "clever" comment to the cop was downright hysterical.