
Thankfully, my week calmed down after Wednesday. I ran 120 minutes on Thursday and did 30 minutes in the morning and 80 minutes after school on Friday. On Saturday, I ran 30 minutes and was supposed to do a long run today. Those plans fell through when I felt something strange in my left hamstring about 35 minutes into my run. I don't think it was anything serious, but didn't want to take any chances. I called it a day after 80 minutes and was sure to stretch well upon getting home. I ended the week with 710 minutes on 10 runs. Next week I need to be more consistent with my morning runs so I can be at or above 110 miles. Now that my running has been fully addressed, I need to let my loyal readers know about my new favorite TV show. I generally don't watch a great deal of television, just The Office and a few minutes here and there of whatever my roommates are watching, so I decided to make use of my three day weekend by plopping down in front of the boob tube for some quality relaxation time. As luck would have it, The Discovery Channel was having a marathon of the show Man vs. Wild. In this show, a man named Bear Grylls (yes, his name is actually Bear Grylls) gets air dropped into a treacherous and uninhabited wilderness with only a knife and a water bottle. His goal is to get back to civilization in under five days. Before doing the show, Bear spent three years in the British Special Forces and was the youngest British climber to ever summit Mount Everest. The stuff he does on the show is like Boy Scouts on steroids. Here is my top three craziest things I saw in my five hours of watching Man vs. Wild today.
3. Using his pack as a flotation device to go through over ten miles of rapids in a river in the Rocky Mountains. He got into the stream because the ridge he was traveling on dead ended in a cliff and he was worried a bear was following him. He jumped off a 70 foot cliff into the river.
2. In an attempt to get out of the Sierra Nevada Mountains more quickly, Bear unsuccessfully attempted to tame a wild horse to ride back to civilization.
1. Bear was in the African Savannah and was concerned about dehydration since he couldn't find any water. As luck would have it, he stumbled upon a fresh elephant turd. Bear promptly squeezed all the liquid from the dung out into his mouth. Absolutely unbelievable.
You really need to watch this show. The next season begins June 15th at 9 PM. Just in case you don't watch, remember that, when you are lost in the wilderness, you need to go downhill until you find a stream, follow the stream until you find a trail, and then follow the trail until you get to a road. You're welcome.
1 comment:
This reminded me of the documentary you made me watch about the guy who wanted to become friends with the bear, but then got eaten by the bear. I fully enjoyed my nap.
Post a Comment