Sunday, May 6, 2007

Cut me, Mick.


This week was disappointing in two ways. One, I got sick and didn't get in as many miles as I had hoped. Two, there was only one funny thing to happen to me on my runs (this is partly due to the fact that I only ran six times but if I start talking about correlation and causation I will probably begin to reminisce about falling asleep in statistics class as I. Norman Katz drones on and on at the chalk board). Anyhow, I ran 60 minutes on Monday and was very sore from the race. At the very beginning of the run I was having a pity party for myself about how bad I was feeling. I was no more than two minutes into my miserable run when I saw three guys sitting on a porch one block ahead of me. One of the guys pointed to me and, as I approached, the three of them started to do an a capella version of the Rocky theme. This immediately lifted my spirits and I shot my arms up in the air. After I passed them, one of the guys yelled out "Adrian!" This instantly shot into my list of top interactions with total strangers while running and probably makes the top three. I doubled on Tuesday, running 30 minutes in the morning and 120 minutes after school. On Wednesday I doubled again, getting in 30 easy minutes in the morning and 100 minutes in the evening. I woke up on Thursday and was absolutely freezing. Even a 20 minute warm shower wouldn't warm me up. After a few hours at school, I started to feel pretty crappy and people were telling me I looked like hell, so I checked my temperature. It was at 101 (fun fact: my normal body temperature is 97) so I went home, ate a big bowl of cereal, and went to bed. Four hours later, I woke up feeling fine. We had a teachers' retreat at our Headmaster's house in Maine and I really wanted to go, so I was begging our Dean of Students to let me go. I took my temperature for her and explained that the lower than normal temperature was totally fine (see above fun fact). She finally gave in but said she didn't want me in her van. Maine was awesome. I took off two days from running to make sure I was back to full health, which was a smart move in my mind. Then I was lazy and took another day off, which was satisfying at the time but bugs me now. Today, I ran 100 minutes to end the week with 440 minutes on 6 runs. I was going to take a down week this coming week if I had gotten in another 100 mile week, so I will just count this week as a down week and get back to work tomorrow.

No comments: