A few weeks ago at a team dinner at Fasika, one of my fellow GBTCers mentioned that there had been some Greater Boston bashing in the blogosphere. After returning home stuffed full of injera and a delicious variety of meats and vegetables, I checked what all the chatter was about. As I read the post and subsequent comments, I couldn't believe what I was reading. GBTC idiots? The fish rots from the head? Questions began to dash through my mind. Who does this guy think he is? Why does he use such obscure analogies? After I calmed down a bit, I was able to receive a bit of clarity on the subject. So what if we got called a bunch of GBTC idiots? So what if Tom got called a fish head (sort of)? This was the perfect chance to start a club feud!
I honestly don't know many New Balance Boston people. Ryan Carrara has always been friendly in the few times I've talked to him and he is quite sympathetic to my plight as a Baltimore Orioles fan. Mario Fraioli was great company during the middle miles of the Boston Marathon last year (even though he dusted me in the Newton hills and beyond) and he writes a mean blog. I don't know any of the ladies, but I am sure that is due to differing social circles coupled with antisocial/awkward behavior on my part and does not speak to their congeniality.
Still, a feud is a feud, so let's get this thing going. I'm actually going to be able to make it to Reggie tonight for a workout and I hope those NBB jerks don't get in my way. What would you expect though? I am not sure what part a manatee starts to decay from, but that New Balance Boston coach? That's him.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Brennan,
Not sure how serious you are about this feud business (sarcasm being difficult to gauge in written form), but in the interest of quashing any unnecessary hostility I've deleted the ill-advised word "idiots" from my post that got everyone so riled up. Writing while pissed off, what can I say. I'm still waiting for the guy who blasted me on my comments section to step forward and identify himself.
I've been a member of the RLTAC since it opened in '95. The Tuesday night crowds are nothing new. The people running double wide and in groups of 10+ are an annoying and relatively recent trend. GBTC is not the only group to blame. However, GBTC athletes have absolutely engaged in this type of thing. Derderian seems not to be fully aware of the frustration it can cause. When someone bitched about it on the letsrun message board he responded with the now-infamous "splendid circus" comment. If you're standing trackside it can seem splendid but not so much when you're weaving through it. Both Mario and Ryan, of whom you seem to have higher opinions than of me, commented on this fact recently.
BTW I didn't know my analogies were that obscure.
Best of luck to you and your clubmates
Mark,
I was hoping to find a way to email this to you, but I guess a comment will have to do. My post was entirely tongue-in-cheek and I apologize if you took it any other way. One of my favorite parts about training in Boston has been the way people set aside their club allegiances in training to create an environment that helps everyone improve. I have only been at Reggie for a few years, so the "splendid circus" scenario is all I know. Due to schedule conflicts, I won't be able to make it there very often, but we'll have to formally introduce ourselves in a more civil way some time along the Grand Prix circuit. Again, sorry for any misunderstanding. I mostly just thought the whole situation was funny.
Post a Comment