Monday, January 12, 2009

Back in the Swing of Things

Let me begin by saying how great it is to be in Boston in January and not have to read story after story about undefeated seasons (although it was nice to watch it all crash down violently on Super Bowl Sunday). It is even sweeter considering that the Ravens are in the playoffs. To be honest, I am not the biggest Ravens fan, but I have been able to watch their last three games and am really looking forward to their match-up with Pittsburgh this weekend. If the Titans game and the two regular season meetings between the teams were any indication, it should be an incredibly physical game.

With the beginning of the new year, I figured I would make some running resolutions in addition to a few personal ones. My hope is to average 80 miles a week for the year, which means I need to start actually running 80 to 85 miles a week instead of just saying the same thing every week and only running 65 to 75 miles.

It was great to get back to Epiphany last week and have a few days where I could just focus on teaching and not have to balance it with classes at BC. By the end of long breaks, I am always a little bored and ready to get back to work, but coming back this time was especially nice because it gave me a bit of a glimpse of what life might be like as a master teacher at the school. I'd love to have the opportunity to do that ext year, and last week only confirmed that notion.

In terms of training, the past weeks have been fairly boring. I had a bad week of training at home in Baltimore, a good week of training split between Chicago and Boston, and a bad week of training in Boston. For some reason, my stomach can't keep it together for the entirety of a workout and my mind is too eager to use it as an excuse to call it a day and take a long cool down.

Tomorrow is the last day that I can make it to Reggie to meet up with my GBTC teammates for workouts, so I will give the track one last shot before I take another break from the oval. At this point, my plan is to switch things up and do fartlek efforts on the loop around the Franklin Park golf course. Hopefully, this more relaxed type of workout will fit well into my schedule, though I worry it will only give me more wiggle room to take it easy.

No comments: