Friday, May 23, 2008

Return to Racing

Training Summary
This week marked my first competition on the track since last June and I went into the race very unsure of what to expect. More than anything, I wanted to go out and compete. I was in the slower of the two 5k heats and figured if I ran to win I could get a solid time. It was pretty windy during the race, making times and splits even less relevant. I was either leading or in the lead pack up to the last lap when the eventual winner went by me. I didn't have another gear to reach for when he passed me, which isn't surprising since I only have three track sessions under my belt at this point. My main reason for running the 5k this week was to have a race effort before the Rhody 5k next week.
Overall, the race and the week as a whole were a success. I was good about doubling (four morning runs for the week), got in a solid session on Tuesday, and had a great run on Thursday with JR in the rain with some fast 200s at the end. My only complaint would be with my long run today. I was hoping to go at least two hours, but a combination of fatigue and warm weather got to me and I cut it short at 110 minutes.

Monday
PM: 80 minutes
Tuesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 25 minute warm up, 2 x 4k with 300 in 55, 100 in 25, 10 minutes rest in between sets, 30 minute cool down
Wednesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 100 minutes
Thursday
PM: 70 minutes, 8 x 200 starting in 33, going down to 31, 10 minute cool down
Friday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 70 minutes
Saturday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 20 minute warm up, 5k in 15:26, 55 minute cool down
Sunday
PM: 110 minutes
Total
760 minutes in 11 runs


Holler of the Week
This was a pretty boring week in terms of getting yelled at on my runs. I got some of the typical comments about my attire like "Get some longer shorts!" and "Put some clothes on!" but nothing notable or original.

Epiphany Story of the Week
One of the 8th grade girls was talking about how ignorant one of her classmates was being. To bring home the point she said "You're being ignorant! I - R - R - I - G ... you know, ignorant!" My irony meter was reading off the charts.

Song of the Week

When people ask me what type of music I listen to, I'm always hesitant to say that I like indie music because of the snobbery that usually goes along with the genre. The more obscure and strange sounding a band is, the cooler they are. Neutral Milk Hotel isn't very obscure, but I could never bring myself to listen to a band called that. Anyhow, they aren't together anymore, but I heard one of their songs on the radio and actually liked them. I guess the whole judging a book by its cover thing works for band names too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad you took the leap to listen to NMH. Great band--wish they would've stayed together. Have you checked out any of Elephant Six's other productions? www.elephant6.com