Monday, December 1, 2008

Terminal Time

So it’s been a while since I posted on here, but I am stranded in BWI waiting for another two hours before my delayed flight leaves for Boston. I am ill prepared for that much terminal time and I figure that putting an update on here is my best option for filling the time. (Editor’s note: this post was typed as a word document and placed online at a later date due to the author’s inability to rationalize paying money for a few hours of internet use)

Long story short, I found out in early September that I had mono and Lyme disease. I was on antibiotics for three weeks to get rid of the Lyme disease and the mono just went away on its own.

My original plan was to run the New York City Marathon in the fall. That changed when I started to feel tired in August (I knew something was up!) and I thought I might just run some cross country races. Those plans also fell through but I was thankfully able to resume running by mid-October and enjoy the fall weather. I am pretty busy between teaching and taking graduate courses, so my new plan is to build up to between 80 and 85 miles per week. Ideally, I will keep my mileage in that range through the end of May when I will have a lot more time to train. Additionally, I am not going to run any intervals until late January at the earliest. I feel completely recovered from the mono and Lyme, but both of them can be problematic if you don’t recover fully. There is no reason for me to push the envelope at this point. I’ll leave you with an awesome answer from the most recent science test I gave my 8th graders.

What are the three properties used to tell the difference between ionic compounds? Please briefly explain each property.

The three properties used to tell the difference between ionic compounds are Amy doesn’t know, Amy needs to study, and please let Amy make up the points lost. Amy doesn’t know means that after sitting for 15 minutes and thinking she can’t figure it out. Amy needs to study means that she needs to be prepared for tests. Please let Amy make up the points lost means that you should be a nice young man.

I almost wanted to give her partial credit. Her answer sure beats the heck out of IDK.

No comments: