Wednesday, June 4, 2008

98 Degrees

Training Summary
It is past my bed time as I am writing this, but I can't fall asleep due to my roommate continually screaming "Let's go!" at the top of his lungs while watching the Celtics/Lakers game. Making lemonade out of lemons, I figured I might as well post about the past week.

It was a solid week with some positive signs and also some room for improvement. I was above 700 minutes, which is a decent total, but I did not double on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Also, I got in two good workouts, but my long run was a little weak. The interval session on Tuesday was particularly important mentally, coming off of the terrible 5k last week and the tempo run on Friday felt VERY easy. I need to get my long run back up to the 120-150 minute range. If I can be more consistent with my doubles and bump up my long run, I will get an extra 100 minutes, which would put me at around 120 miles a week.

Monday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 70 minutes
Tuesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 25 minute warm up, 8 x 1000 with 600 jog rest [3:10 (1:53) 3:09 (1:47) 3:10 (1:46) 3:09 (1:47) 3:09 (1:47) 3:07 (1:50) 3:04 (1:48) 2:59] , 40 minute cool down
Wednesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 70 minutes
Thursday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 90 minutes
Friday
PM: 35 minute warm up, 5 mile tempo run in 26:30, 40 minute cool down
Saturday
PM: 70 minutes (very hot, 98 degrees)
Sunday
PM: 110 minutes
Total
730 minutes on 11 runs

Holler of the Week
On my cool down after the Thursday tempo run, I was thinking that I had gone a very long without any good hollers. A few minutes later, I noticed a woman leaning on a phone booth and watching me as I ran towards her. When I got close, she said "Awww shit!" and grabbed at my butt. She then started to chase me saying "I'm gonna getcha!" over and over while still half bent over, reaching at my rear. The entire time she was running after me (and for three blocks after she stopped) I was laughing out loud. I ended up going past the same spot the next day and the woman was there again. She yelled "Ooooh white boy, you're back for more!" but didn't chase me.

Epiphany Story of the Week
We were supposed to have Field Day on Thursday, but the weather did not cooperate and we had to hold the event inside. I was put on karaoke duty and was responsible for monitoring the kids as they performed. It was incredibly funny because the songs provided were all old and none of the students knew any of them. They were shy at first and, when nobody volunteered to go first, I broke the ice with a stirring rendition of Sometimes by Brittney Spears. After that, it was a steady stream of 98 Degrees (the boy band, not the temperature of my Saturday run), N'Sync, and Spice Girls songs.

Song of the Week
This song comes courtesy of Kevin Gale via Jeff Bayers. It is easily the best cover version of Big Girls Don't Cry by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons that I have ever heard. If you watch one video today, make it the one below.

No comments: