Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lots of Driving, Not Much Running

Training Summary
This week was incredibly inconsistent and marked with both positive and negatives.

Positive: I went to my cousin's wedding over the weekend and saw all my cousins, aunts, and uncles.
Negative: My actions over the weekend probably took days off my life and I didn't run one step while in New Jersey.

Positive: I had a great time in Maine with the 8th graders at their overnight retreat. I basically got paid to spend the entire day swimming, playing croquet, hooping, eating great food, and jumping on a trampoline.
Negative: I missed a run and got a sunburn (the sunburn could potentially be seen as a positive since I now have a very impressive tank top tan line).

Positive: I got in two solid workouts, especially Tuesday's session. The splits aren't very impressive, but it was VERY hot and I ran tough.
Negative: No long run for the week.

Monday
PM: 90 minutes
Tuesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 25 minute warm up, 8 x 800 with 200 jog rest (400 jog rest after #5), 40 minute cool down
2:30 (54) 2:31 (56) 2:32 (59) 2:32 (59) 2:32 (1:59) 2:29 (59) 2:30 (1:01) 2:25
Wednesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 90 minutes
Thursday
AM: 40 minutes
Friday
PM: 35 minute warm up, 3 mile tempo run in 15:45, 50 minute cool down
Saturday
off
Sunday
off
Total
470 minutes on 7 runs

Holler of the Week
Usually, I use this space to tell about something that was yelled at me over the previous week. This week, I am switching it up a little and my Holler of the Week is a shout out to one of my Greater Boston teammates for his performance at the USATF New England Track Championships. Ted Breen, a good runner coming off a long stretch of planned, non-serious training, decided to enter the 3000 meter race walk. He finished a respectable fifth in his first ever race walk (click on the picture to get the full-sized race walk pain face).


Epiphany Story of the Week
I was in Maine with the 8th graders for the Celtics game and was a little nervous for my roommate (the one who's screaming kept me up last week) since he gets really into the games and tends to make comments that aren't exactly PG. There were about 15 people packed into the TV room for the game and, when the Celtics came out flat and the Lakers jumped out to a quick lead, Chris made it about two minutes before screaming an f-bomb about a poor offensive set. Watching the build up to the profanity was like viewing the scene in Anger Management where Adam Sandler is at his support group and the 76ers fan is listening to a game on his headphones. After his team loses on a missed lay-up, he starts twitching and then begins screaming "You gotta dunk that shit! You gotta dunk that shit!" Amazingly, Chris was able to reel it in and keep his commentary clean for the rest of the game, demonstrating way more will power than I could ever show during a Terps game, 8th grade ears be damned.

Song of the Week
Tapes 'n Tapes - Conquest
With ten hours of driving to and from New Jersey, I had plenty of time to listen to tunes. One of the CDs that got the most air time was Walk It Off, the newest Tapes 'n Tapes album. The link is to youtube, although the video is just a picture of the album cover the entire time. Boring video, good song.

No comments: