Saturday, June 21, 2008

So Much Power...We're Unstopable!

Training Summary
This was a very good week of training and I am excited about the fitness I am beginning to achieve. In my workout on Tuesday, I was very surprised with my strength at the end. On the final mile, I split 72 seconds for the first 400 meters and I was expecting to be in a world of hurt for the final laps. I managed to keep up my pace and kept my effort controlled in doing so, never going into "race psyche" as Tom calls it. My tempo run on Friday was solid and very smooth. It was difficult to keep mental focus by myself for an extended period of time, but it was very comfortable physically. Ideally, I would like to get in a few more doubles and a few more miles on my long run, but I can't complain. Now the key is to do the same thing next week.

Monday
PM: 100 minutes
Tuesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 25 minute WU, 1600, jog to Fresh Pond, tempo around Fresh Pond (2.45 miles), jog back to the track, 1600, 35 minute CD
4:54 (3:45) 12:56 (5:17 pace) (3:30) 4:47
Wednesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 90 minutes
Thursday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 90 minutes
Friday
PM: 35 minute WU, 7 mile tempo run, 30 minute CD
5:28, 5:24, 5:24, 5:24, 5:22, 5:23, 5:24
Saturday
AM: 120 minutes
Sunday
PM: 90 minutes
Total
770 minutes on 10 runs

Holler of the Week
This was another sub-par week of hollers. I got the typical "nice legs," "run Forrest, run," and "what are you running for?" (to which I always reply "President") comments, but nothing funny or original. Therefore, my holler of the week comes courtesy of the Celtics fans after Game 6 of the NBA Finals. When my train pulled into Park Street, dozens of fans poured on, inebriated from victory, excitement, and huge doses of alcohol. Upon entering the train, they began cheering "Let's go Celtics!" Then, as Boston fans so often do, they switched from cheering for their team to cheering against the opposing team. "Fuck L.A." chants came next and then, inexplicably, switched to the traditional "Fuck the Yankees" chants. To add to this display of sportsmanship, one particularly hammered fan puked on the train, then got up from his seat holding his mouth and stumbled towards me, looking like he was ready to let loose again. I quickly grabbed my bag and sprinted to the opposite end of the train. Stay classy, Boston fans.

Epiphany Story of the Week
How about this for an Epiphany story? I officially turned in my grades, had my check out meeting, and am done with my second year of teaching. Boo ya!

Song of the Week
I am a huge Arcade Fire fan. As a tribute to them and to NStar for turning off the electricity in my neighborhood from 9 AM to 9 PM on Saturday (have you ever heard of a 12 hour planned power outage on a summer day?) the song for the week is Neighborhood 3 (Power Out) from their album Funeral. Unfortunately, my computer was about to die and my iPod was out of batteries so I couldn't listen to it during the outage (I live a really tough life).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not getting why you are so down on the Beantown fans. I've always been impressed with how gracious they are in victory and accepting in defeat. Has there been any buzz for a "Curse of Corey" (Dillon)...I'm just saying..it's not like the Pats choked.