Training Summary
This week got off to a very good start but sort of fizzled in the final few days. I ran a solid workout on Tuesday, but had to cut it short because my hamstring tightened up at the end of my tempo. By Friday, I had 80 miles for the week and, with a weekend long run, was poised to be around 110 miles for the week. I am not sure if it was the workout on Friday, riding my bike to run errands on Saturday, or some other unknown reason, but my right hamstring was incredibly tight on my run on Saturday. I decided to take it easy and just run 30 minutes, hoping to come back the next day with a long run. I knew the long run was a no go about 10 minutes into my run on Sunday, so I bagged it, ran 30 minutes total, and did a rope stretching session when I got home. I am going to cut back on the miles in the upcoming week, not do any workouts, and just focus on taking care of my hamstring. I have not been good about stretching and getting enough sleep, so that will be my focus.
Monday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 80 minutes
Tuesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 30 minute WU, mile on Fresh Pond loop @ 10k effort, 3.5 minute jog rest, 2 loop tempo (4.9 miles), 30 minute CD
5:06 (3:32) 26:36 (5:26 pace)
Wednesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 80 minutes
Thursday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 70 minutes
Friday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 35 minute WU, 5 x 800 w/ 400 jog rest, 35 minute CD
2:25.7 (1:44.6) 2:25.3 (1:41.7) 2:27.7 (1:50.2) 2:26.5 (1:52.4) 2:25.3
Saturday
PM: 30 minutes
Sunday
PM: 30 minutes
Total
620 minutes on 12 runs
Holler of the Week
As I was running on Blue Hill Ave. towards Franklin Park, I passed a group of three girls at a bus stop. One of them yelled the standard "Run Forrest, run!" as I ran by. I was in a crummy mood for some reason and asked her if she knew how often people yell that at me before telling her that her comment "wasn't even funny." I ran into my friend Ruben a few minutes later and completely forgot about the interaction with the girls at the bus stop. After Ruben peeled off for home, I did one last loop through Milton and Mattapan. I was heading towards home on Blue Hill Ave, when I heard someone sing "Hiiiiiiiiii Forrest!" I looked up and, at the bus stop in front of me, there was the girl I was so Scrooge-like to earlier in the run with a big, Bob Cratchet smile on her face. I couldn't help but laugh and the way she made me feel so curmudgeonly with her good natured joking put a big grin on my face that stayed there for the final few miles of my run. I guess she managed to make "Run Forrest, run!" both original and funny.
Epiphany Story of the Week
One of the recent Epiphany graduates is headed to BC High next year and is hoping to play football or soccer. I offered to help him get in shape by putting him through a training program of cardio, plyometrics, and core work. I honestly didn't expect him to show up the first day we met but, when I walked onto my back porch, he was waiting for me at the gate to the back field at school. He has been meeting me for my morning runs and it has been great to have company and be accountable to someone to get my butt out of bed for my 30 minutes at the beginning of the day. Kevin and I have been meeting at 8 AM. We do a 10 minute loop (next week will be 15) from the school. I then go off and do 20 more minutes while he does a series of plyometric drills. We then do plank holds and crunches when I come back, and then eat breakfast. It has been a great way to start the day and he should be in great shape for the fall (hopefully I will be also).
Song of the Week
Sometimes when I am bored, I check out the websites for my favorite bands to check when they will be in town (pretty cool, huh?). About three weeks ago, I checked the Hold Steady's website and saw that they were going to Baltimore but not Boston. I was disappointed and even considered heading home for that weekend to visit my folks and catch the show, but never got around to making plans. Then, on Tuesday I checked their site again and saw that they had added a show in Boston and it was FREE! I got to the venue around 7 PM, waited for three hours, and then watched some great rock music until almost midnight. To top things off, I ran into one of my college teammates at the show who was a Miller Lite VIP at the show and shared his free beverage privileges with me. A conversation I heard on the train ride home sums up my experience. One guy was coming from the show, was obviously drunk, and was being sort of loud. The other guy was already on the train when we got on.
Guy Already on the T: Have you ever heard of AA?
Concert Guy: Have YOU ever heard of rock and roll music!?
The Hold Steady - Hot Soft Light
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
had a hunch on song of the week...can't wait til 7/14 release.
take care of that hamstring.
t.shea
Post a Comment