I started the week off on a good note by doubling on Monday, which I am usually unable to do because of serving breakfast at Epiphany. I was hoping that would be just the push I needed to get in one last big week before taking a down week. Plans changed at GBTC practice on Tuesday when my shin began to bother me during the workout. At that point, I decided to end my run early and take my down week early. After two planned easy days of 30 minutes and 70 minutes, I missed my run on Friday because the hour and a half nap I was supposed to take after school turned into a five hour nap and it was 10 PM by the time I woke up.
On Saturday morning, I took a group of ten Epiphany students to Franklin Park to run the Nike 5K for Kids. I ran from point to point along the course, cheering the kids on and then jog/walked it in to the finish with one of the 6th grade girls who participated. It was a great event and the kids had a blast. My goal for next year is to get 30 kids participating, which I think is possible. The picture below is of the Epiphany crew after the race. Later in the day, I ran 30 minutes to shake out my legs for the Rhody 5K on Sunday.

I woke up at 5:30 on Sunday to warm up for 20 minutes before heading to Lincoln, RI for the race. Before the race, I did a 10 minute shake out jog with a few strides. From the gun, I did not feel comfortable at all. I was hoping that I would settle in after a few minutes and that I was simply suffering from not warming up enough. I went through the mile in 4:50 and was struggling but tried to hold on and stay with the guys around me. By a mile and a half, that plan was out the window and I just wanted to finish. I finished in 16:19 and honestly consider this one of my worst races ever. I was completely out of it mentally and did not run tough in the least. I don't even care about my time or place, but to compete the way I did is very disappointing.
Monday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 70 minutes
Tuesday
AM: 30 minutes
PM: 40 minutes
Wednesday
PM: 30 minutes
Thursday
PM: 70 minutes
Friday
off
Saturday
PM: 30 minutes
Sunday
AM: 20 minutes
PM: 10 minute warm up, 5k in 16:19, 35 minute cool down
Total
380 minutes on 9 runs
Holler of the Week
On my Saturday evening shake out run, I saw two women dancing, drinking, and singing on the front porch of one of the houses ahead of me. I couldn't help but smile and, as I ran by, one of them yelled to me "Alright, soul brother! Get your run on!"
Epiphany Story of the Week
"McCain and Clinton throw some powerful punches, but Obama really pins the tail on the donkey."
-Direct quote from an 8th grader's essay on the 2008 election
Song of the Week
Flaming Lips - Fight Test
Weird video, good song. It sort of sounds like "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens, which is one of my all time favorites.
No comments:
Post a Comment